A few years back I couldn't stand to look at fake flowers, I thought they were ugly, the colours were not right and some of them looked so plastic and absolutely fake. When I got into home staging I found myself in the need to decorate with fake flowers, because I believe nothing finishes up a room better than a beautiful arrangement of flowers (of course fresh flowers will be a million times better!) however in a new built home, where no body lives there full time, it will be so hard to get fresh flowers as they will dry out and get droopy, and lets be honest... Who wants to see that, first thing when walking thru a staged home for sale?.
This is why I started to turn around and looked for the best looking faux flowers out there to place in my staged homes, now I use them all the time, they help make a statement and I don't have to look after them!
In my home I use a bit of both, I really like the low maintenance flowers and with my busy life I don't really have time to stay on top of fresh flowers regularly so most of the time I opt for the faux kind!
Five tips to get the best out of your faux flowers:
- When buying faux flowers, try to invest a little extra to get the high end flowers that look more realistic and feel great to the touch.
- Make sure to get flowers that will resemble the actual colours of the flowers we see in nature.
- Clean your faux arrangements regularly to avoid the layer of dust that usually gets into these flowers after a while and makes them reveal they are fake.
- Adding Craft water (floral craft simulated water) it's a great way to make your flowers look more realistic.
- Mix both real flowers and fake flowers around your home.